Sunday, June 2, 2013

Trial and error (2): Broccoli cutlets


I started the year with the aim of learning a new dish every month (see post). But one early February morning I cut my finger with a knife quite badly and ended up getting a couple of stitches. So that kept me out of the kitchen for a while. Then since my recovery my husband and I have been having friends over at home for lunches or dinners rather frequently. As a result I never went beyond my first attempt. However, watching the new season of Master Chef USA got me excited enough to look at recipes.

For me one of the most daunting tasks is to find some nice thing to munch with our evening tea. All you find in the food stores in Providence are cookies, potato chips and under salted nuts. The shop where we get all the Indian goodies is really far from home and so we go there once a month. The chivdas that we buy however, get consumed within a week to a fortnight. Then there are times when one is in a mood for hot stuff and I end up making onion bhajjis or pakoras. Looking for another alternative I came across the recipe of Broccoli fritters cutlets.

How I did it?
Yesterday evening I tried the one outlined by  Mehan's Kitchen. You can find from the link that cooking them requires very few ingredients and the process is also really easy. Like the author I used besan or chick pea flour, but instead of cheddar cheese I added mozzarella cheese.

Notes on cooking technique.
I found that the final mixture was not dry and somewhat wet. So I used a tablespoon to spread the batter directly on the hot pan as making the cutlets beforehand would have been messy. The good part is the cheese did not melt and spill out.

My husband's verdict.
He thought that the Broccoli cutlets came out well. They were crispy from the outside and soft from the inside.

In all Broccoli cutlets can be considered as a good tea time snack which do not require much cooking time or effort. Hope the photo below entices you to give them a try:

Snacking on Broccoli cutlets


2 comments:

  1. Very nice! These days I'm trying to get Mandavi to eat fruits and vegetables, so will try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...