Thursday, December 27, 2018

Season to be Hopeful


Recently, I got to know that Prof. Aditi Simha, a faculty at the Department of Physics, IIT Madras passed away. I had worked in the same department and seen her many times in the corridors, but never had the chance to talk to her. Still the news was shocking as she was young. It is being said that she committed suicide by consuming some poisonous fruits taken from the campus. I am reading online that Prof. Aditi Simha was depressed related to personal problems, which might have prompted her to take her own life. However, I am unaware for how long she was battling depression. 

Life can indeed be harsh and hard. In the current times, what with Facebook and Instagram, everyone's life seems to be an open book. It looks like all our friends are always travelling, eating great food, and having fun. This facade would make anyone going through a low point in his/her life feel hesitant to approach even someone they have known since childhood. 

When things are troublesome, we must remind ourselves that no one can say that he or she has never had to struggle. Even for stepping into this world we have to wriggle our way out. How many times babies push themselves up when first learning to simply raise their bodies. As I watch my son grow, I see how in a desire to walk, run, and jump there is no fear of falling and he is willing to repeat the same exercise countless times with the same level of excitement and without tiredness. 

If you will simply look around, then you will find someone facing a greater ordeal than you. I travel by local train sometimes to get to my office. Indeed I only have to step on to the railway station to see poverty and the sorry state of some people's lives to know how much more I have. At the same time, I also come across men and women trying to make an honest living despite their unfortunate circumstances. When a blind man in return for buying only ten rupees of chikki (a sweet made of peanuts and jaggery) says "God bless you", I realize how much more I should be thankful. 

Our God is full of mercy and grace. From the time of our birth He has given us the inner strength to face our life's challenges. The proof of God's love for us is His great sacrifice of sending His only begotten Son to save us. Let this Christmas season be not only about being joyful but also hopeful. Believe that however difficult the times may be, He will hear us. Know that He is always with us, even if  no one else is. So hold on and do not let go.


(Photo source: www.angels-ad-pbb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...