Sunday, January 6, 2013

Practices make perfect



Following our engagement ceremony in 2009, my then fiancé (now husband) and I were gifted by my cousin brother a book on 1001 Ways to Romance. One suggestion was that couples should keep certain traditions which they will be able to associate with themselves over a period of time. I could immediately identify with this.

For as long as I could remember I had seen my parents hold a Christmas party for family and friends. The preparations for it would begin nearly a month before. Sweets like cake, doughnuts, kulkuls, karanjees, and nariyal ladoos and salted ones like shev and namkeens would be made in large quantities and safely stored. This required my parents to work in tandem, side by side. As my sister and I grew up even we were involved in some of the activities. December brought us together in a manner like no other month did.

Up on getting married, my husband and I did not consciously set about to come up with a specific custom. It originated because of my own need for a cup of tea immediately after waking up. Though never a tea addict, my husband also gave in. Since then every morning I make two cups of tea and take along two sets of three Marie biscuits on a tray to the bed. As each sip refreshes us, we make plans for the day and recall things we'd missed out telling each other the night before. These 10-15 minutes of quiet togetherness before the rush starts, are a bliss. 

A simple practice it might be, but then it also connects us that simply.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image (top) adapted from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...