Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Satyamev Jayate (2): title song and changing in love



Continuing from where I left last time on Satyamev Jayate, I now shift your focus to its title song (see above video). From what I have read and heard, Aamir Khan's simple brief to lyricist Prasoon Joshi was to write a romantic love song for the country and he in turn did a wonderful job based on this minimum instruction.

The part of the song which made me introspect goes:

Jaisa bhi hoon apna mujhe, mujhe ye nahi hai bolna
Qaabil tere main ban sakoon, mujhe dwar aisa kholna

These lines imply:

Accept me as I am, I do not want to say
That I may become worthy of you, I want to find that way

One worry that we all have in any relationship is to be rejected for who we are. We want our friends and family to accept us with our package of the good and the bad. That is why when somebody is critical, often our instant reaction is to become defensive in order to prove ourselves right. We get upset at their trying to change us and refuse to comply to their needs.

This resistance is questioned by the above words of the song. After all when in love shouldn't we do everything to make this other person happy? Shouldn't we want ourselves to be befitting of him/her? If this entails filling out our flaws, smoothening our rough edges and altering our ways then shouldn't it be so? Shouldn't we be doing this gladly instead of grudgingly?

For once we should ask ourselves that isn't our loved one deserving of these efforts from our part.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...